Monday 15 February 2010

Who wrote the book of love?

Post Valentine's Day, and I got a Valentine card - very unexpected in the circumstances. One of my close friends recently sent me a birthday card with the message 'better to have loved and lost than to live with the psycho the rest of your life' (or words to that effect).Perhaps psycho isn't the right description, con man might be closer. I was telling another friend about the circumstances of our break up, nearly two years ago now. She writes detective fiction, and we both agreed that you could begin to understand why wives and partners may claim ignorance of the secret life of their criminal husband or boyfriend. I certainly didn't put two and two together, though I knew something wasn't right after 10 years. The fact that we didn't live together made it much easier for him to maintain the deceptions. I was aware that the shock of the discoveries could have destroyed me, and was determined that it wasn't going to happen because of him. I haven't lived the life I have lived and faced the challenges it's presented to be destroyed by a someone like that. It does mean I don't whole heartedly enjoy living here - neither of us has moved away, I still see his family, who don't know the whole story and wonder why we split up. I'll write more about the circumstances some other time.
So...to get a Valentine card was both unexpected and mysterious - as it should be.
In the mid 70s I sang in a rock'n'roll revival group, Drive in Rock and the Rockettes. Inspired by Sha Na Na, we only performed 50s songs. We had a good time playing the college circuit for a few years.Some of the band are still my good friends, one is no longer with us, another recently got in touch on facebook.
When I was a teenager I always had a song lyric for any situation - I had completely forgotten about it until I started this blog. Each post seems to echo a song, so I am going to see how long I can keep it going without it being too contrived - maybe only until the end of February - maybe forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment