Thursday 4 February 2010

Waiting for the electrician or someone like him

Any closet Firesign Theatre fans may get the reference.
They were a comedy group from America, late 60s, early 70s - very irreverent, very inventive. On one of their albums they created a spoof game show called Beat the Reaper. Contestants were given a disease at the beginning of the show and had to guess what it was. If they guessed right they got the antidote, if they didn't they died! I keep expecting to see it on TV... maybe it could replace Big Brother.
Anyway, today I am waiting for my friend the plumber who is coming to fix my gas fire. It gave up the ghost on Christmas Day. I was reduced to tears. I'd just been to see my father in the nursing home he had moved to, and the reality of his fragile state of health was really brought home to me. So the loss of the main source of heat in my living room was the last straw.
So I was crying for him, but the fire was an excuse.
I got through the funeral, and all the preparations for it, without tears. Less than a week later it was my birthday, and for the first time ever my father's name wasn't on the card. Some years my mother had signed for him - when he was working abroad, and when his handwriting became too shaky, but this was the first card in 55 years that wasn't from him.
The plumber has just arrived...... fingers crossed

No comments:

Post a Comment