Friday 23 August 2013

Return to Casablanca

Strange as it may sound, I realise that Manchester reminds me of my time in Casablanca. It has the same energy and feel. A mix of new buildings and derelict sites. A cosmopolitan feel, with unfamiliar languages on the streets. A kora player in Piccadilly gardens. Lots of young faces. Layers of history at every turn. I loved walking through Casa on my way to work, discovering areas and neighbourhoods. Instead of the French colonial and art deco architecture of Casa, there are Dickensian and high Victorian styles in Manchester. Different vocabulary but the same language. It wouldn't surprise me to see a Moroccan water seller in the Northern Quarter. Maybe it's the unusually hot summer. I walk round with my eyes wide open, enjoying the sights, sounds and smells of the streets. Exciting times.

No comments:

Post a Comment